Frequently asked questions


Parks.  Who maintains Valley Ranch Park?

The 7-acre Valley Ranch Park land was contributed for a City of Temple park, by the Developer, Belfair Development. Later Belfair teamed with the City Parks Department to add playground equipment. The City Parks Department maintains our park. Issues shoud be reported to the Parks Department.

Mail.  Why can't I have a curbside mailbox?

The US Postal Service determined that mail service for Valley Ranch residents would be by cluster boxes. Locations were determined by the post office.

Cable & Internet Service.  Why arn't there more options, and why does it take so long for new phases to be served?

Since the legislature removed the requirement for Cable companies to negotiate franchise agreements with municipalities, they have become very independent. Installation time lag is a statewide problem and some cable companies have left our market.


Gate.  Why isn't Fairfield gated... like Evergreen?

Evergreen and Fairfield are separate sections of Valley Ranch. The developer, to hold cost down, made Fairfield lots smaller and omitted the entry gate.

Streets & Drainage.  Who is responsible for repair and maintenance?

The City of Temple. Street and drainage Issues should be reported to the City Streets Department. The HOA has no responsibility or authority.

Speeding.  What can the HOA do about speeding in Valley Ranch?

While speeding is a City of Temple Police Department enforcement issue, the HOA did secure a lower speed limit for Dubose Road. The speed limit is 30 mph on all Temple residental streets. Please report speeding to the Temple PD. Most effective with license number and vehicle description.

Parking.  Why does the HOA restrict parking on our public streets?

Street parking presents numorous community issues. Safety is compromised when streets are congested with vehicle parking. The overall appearance and home values are negatively impacted by cluttered and congested streets. Except short-term visitor parking, vehicles may not be parked on Valley Ranch streets for extended periods during the day or night.

Boats & Trailers, etc. What are the rules?

Boats, trailers, motorhomes, and commercial vehicles may not be parked on the street for extended periods during the day or night. Exceptions are permitted during ARC approved construction projects.

HOA Business

HOA Dues: How much are annual dues and when do we pay?

Annual dues assessments and payment options are detailed on this website. To navigate to that page click this link... " Pay Dues" . The annual assessment amount, despite increased costs for utilities, and maintenance, has not increased in more than a decade. As Valley Ranch neared completion, with more members paying, 2021 dues were decreased. The HOA board of directors sets the annual budget and monitors expeses regularly. Members can review current HOA financials, through "Your HOA Account". To navigate to that page, click this link... " Financials" > "Personal Account Login". To navigate to "Minutes, Financials, and Budgets" archive, click this link " Minutes & Financials".

HOA Dues: What is the money used for?

HOA dues are used to pay for common area maintenance (irrigation & landscaping) Entrance maintenance, repair and electricity, Evergreen gate maintenance, utilities, insurance, and administrative management of the Association, including accounting and tax. Fairfield dues are less, to compensate for HOA maintenance of the Evergreen gate.

Fines & Fees: What kind of fines and fees is the HOA authorized to charge?

A schedule of fines and fees is found in Article 5 of the Association Policy Manual. The manual is posted on the ‘Documents’ page of the Association website.

Entrance Landscaping: Who pays for irrigation and maintenance?

Dubose Roadside maintenance is performed by the HOA and the water is provided at no cost to the HOA, through a ‘Beautification Agreement’ between the Association and the City. Improvements at the Evergreen & Fairfield entrances are the Associations responsibility.

HOA Meetings. Are members notified when HOA meetings will be held?

Notice of regular and special meetings of the Board of Directors and Membership must be provided to members either by mail, email or posting on the official Association website. Meeting and posting requirements are detailed in Articles 11 & 12 of the Association Policy Manual, which can be downloaded from the ‘ Documents’ page of the Association website. HOA members are encouraged to attend Association meetings.

HOA Records: How do we get HOA meeting minutes and financial information?

Meeting minutes, financial reports and annual budgets are assessible from website “HOA Members” page.

Solicitors: What can be done about unwanted solicitors?

Uninvited solicitors and those without a city permit should be reported to the Temple Police Department. City ordinance stipulates that solicitors must have secured an appointment or have been invited to the premises by the owner or occupant and must have secured a city permit prior to the appointment.

Restrictive Covenants

Resident Violations.  No one seems to be doing anything about covenant violations. Why?

The Manager's office conducts drive-through inspections every three weeks. Violations that occur during evening hours are difficult to document. The HOA also allows members to report violations. Once received, the alleged violation is confirmed and the owner involved notified with a time allowance for correction before fines are levied. The process can be lengthy, especially when absentee owners are involved. When a violation is repeated it can appear to be a violation that has not been addressed.

Basketball Goals.  Are permanent or portable basketball goals permitted?

Permanent installations may not be visible from a street. Portable goals must not be left out when not in use.

Construction Projects.  Do room additions, swimming pools, fences, etc. have ARC approval?

To be in compliance with Valley Ranch restrictive covenants, plans must be submitted to the ARC through the HOA Manager. ‘Plans Review Application Forms’ may be downloaded from the Architectural Review page of the Association website. Prior approval by the ARC is required.

Fences: Are fences required, must they be stained?

Wooden screening fences are not required, except rear fences on Dubose Rd. and facing FM-93. The requirements, including wood type, construction, and location of fence pickets is set forth in the "Restrictive Covenants" found on the "Documents" page of the website. Chain-link type fencing may be used, only when inside wooden fenced areas and not visible from a street or other property. Such fences are usually for a dog or pet "run".

Garage Enclosures.   May we enclose our garage?

Only if acceptable alternate garage space is available, or will be provided as part of the project. For an approval, the ARC must find that the proposed project will result in a home that is harmonious with the overall appearance of the community. Prior approval by the ARC is required.

Storage Containers: Are temporary storage containers restricted?

There are restrictions on temporary storage containers, including trucks, PODS, or similar storage containers. Limitations include the period of time permitted and placement location. Prior approval by the ARC is required.

Pets.  What kind and how many are allowed?

No more than 4 pets per property are allowed and exotic or dangerous animals are absolutely forbidden. Pet restrictions are detailed in the "Restrictive Covenants" posted on the website " Documents" Page.

Noisy Neighbors.  What can the HOA do?

When properly notified with specifics, including address, the HOA will request the owner to "hold it down" and to respect others right to peace and quiet. As a practical matter, noisy neighbors are difficult for the HOA to manage. When excessive, or the HOA's efforts are unsuccessful, the matter should be reported to the Temple Police Department.


Builder Violations.  Builders continually violate covenants. Why isn’t anything done?

The homebuilding subcontractor system is a big part of the challenge. Subs are often onsite only a short while, many times with workers who have no knowledge of covenants or do not care. The chronic shortage of workers compounds the problem with continual workers replacement. In an effort to “get builders attention”, HOA fines may belevied and liens placed on properties.

Noise.  What can be done about irritating construction noise?

Noise: What can be done about irritating construction noise? Construction noise can be irritating, but it generally moves along as new subdivision phases build-out. Residents are encouraged to be tolerant... the noise you hear is similar to noise others likely tolerated while your home was being constructed. Following inclement weather, contractors attempt to make up time by working longer hours.

Noise.  What hours are construcgtion workers allowed to work?

Normal hours are: Mon - Fri: 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Saturday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Exceptions are made when justified by severe weather, extended periods of inclement weather, proximity to occupied dwellings, early morning concrete pours during summer months, and other justifiable urgency. Interior work that does not produce excessive noise is permitted outside normal hours.

Trash.  Are Bella Charca contractors required to manage their trash?

Home Builders are required by contract, to manage their construction trash and debris. However, as with other violations, trash is challenging to manage, because of the subcontractor system of construction and often difficulty in determining who is responsible.


Who administers HOA affairs?

HOA members annually elect the HOA board of directors. They, in turn, contract adminstration of HOA affairs, including finances, meetings, covenants infractions, and website, with a professional property manager.

How are covenant violations reported?

Covenant violations may be reported to the Manager by email, USPS mail, overnight delivery, hand delivery, or by telephone. For obvious reasons telephone reports are discouraged because of their inefficiency.

How much do we pay the manager?

The manager's compensation is based upon certain fees and a formula spelled out in detail, in the manager's contract. The contract can be reviewed on the association website... go to HOA Members > HOA Management > Management Contract.